H.E. Dr. Zahir Tanin
Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Afghanistan to the United Nations
Chair of Intergovernmental Negotiations on Security Council Reform
28 November 2011
- Thank you all for your active participation in the first meeting of the eighth round of Intergovernmental Negotiations on Security Council Reform.
- I listened carefully today to your positions, thoughts, and suggestions.
- What I have gathered most clearly from today’s meeting is that you are all in agreement about the need for seeking progress and taking the process forward.
- We cannot go backward from here, and cannot see the process as being locked-in place.
- I remain committed to a fair, balanced, and membership-driven process that will move us towards finding a solution that can garner the widest possible acceptance by Member States.
- I will be in communication with you regarding the guidance of next steps.
- Thank you.