November 27, 2011
At a meeting of the National Security Council held this morning in the Presidential Palace, President Hamid Karzai approved the proposal by the Transition Commission that outlines the administrative units set to be part of the second phase of the transition of security responsibilities from foreign to Afghan control.
As recommended by the Transition Commission and approved by the President, the following provinces, cities and districts are decided to go through the 2nd phase of the transfer of security responsibilities.
The Provinces (to be fully handed over): Balkh, Takhar, Daikundi, Samangan, Kabul and Nimroz;
The Cities: Jalalabad (in Nangerhar), Cheghcheran (in Ghor), Sheberghan (in Jauzjan), Faizabad (in Badakhshan), Ghazni city (in Ghazni), Qalai-e-Naw (in Badghis) and Maidan Shahr (in Maidan Wardak)
- Shahr Buzurg, Yaftal Sufla, Arghanj, Baharak, Tashkan, Kishm and Argo in the Province of Badakhshan;
- Aab Kamari in the Province of Badghis;
- Nawa, Naad Ali and Marja in Helmand;
- All districts except Shindand, Obi and Chisht Sharif in the Province of Herat;
- Qarghayee in the Province of Laghman;
- Behsood, Kooz Kunar, Kama and Surkh Rod in the Province of Nangerhar;
- All districts except Shinwary and Siagerd in the Province of Parwan;
- All districts except Sayaad in the Province of Sar-e-Pul; and
- Hesa-e- Awal Behsood, Jalriz and the center of Behsood in the Province of Wardak.
It is also worth noting that the first phase of the Transition covered successfully the provinces of Bamyan, Panjsher and Kabul except for Surobi district, city of Herat, Lashkargah in Helmand, city of Mazar-e-Sharif in Balkh province and Mehtarlam city in Laghman Province.
With today’s decision by the President, over half of the country’s population would now be covered by the Transition Process.
For further information, please contact:
Office of the Spokesperson to the President of Afghanistan,
Tel.: +93 (20) 210 2853
+93 (20) 210 3705